Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Interesting New Series

Trauma Plan
Grace Medical #1
Candace Calvert
Released May 1st, 2012
Tyndale House
Source: NetGalley


Sidelined by injuries from a vicious assault, chaplain Riley Hale is determined to return to her former duties as an ER nurse. But how can she show she's competent when the hospital won't let her attempt even simple tasks?

Determined to prove herself, Riley volunteers at a controversial urban free clinic despite her fears about the maverick doctor in charge.Dr. Jack Travis defends his clinic like he's commander of the Alamo. He'll fight the community's efforts to shut its doors, even if he must use Riley Hale's influential family name to make it happen.

As Riley strives to regain her skills, Jack finds that she shares his compassion--and stirs his lonely heart. Riley senses that beneath Jack's rough exterior is a man she can believe in. But when clinic protests escalate and questions surface about his past, Jack goes into battle mode and Riley wonders if it's dangerous to trust him with her heart.

I have to say, for a romance without any sex, I really enjoyed it.  It was very different from many of the romances I read.  I wont say it is a religious romance but the heroine is a Chaplain and they do spend a bit of time praying to God, which I am fine with because Hey, I pray to God throughout the day.  It just felt normal to me and for the characters.

Now my one and ONLY Jack Travis is from Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas, but since this hero, Jack Travis, was also from Texas, I let it slide, and he is pretty easy on the eyes.  I really enjoyed the relationship that built between Jack and Riley.  I loved their first meeting, had me cracking up, and the way they were able to pull the best parts of each other out, almost like finally sharing themselves with someone else.

The secondary story was slightly suspenseful, since we start the book not knowing what we are going to get.  We meet a few friends of Riley and Jack's which lead us deeper into the relationship and into the mystery. 

I have never worked at a hospital, but the scenes were written so true to what I believe happens during an emergency situation and the author really put a lot of her experience into this book without overwhelming the readers with too much hospital mumbo-jumbo.  It was just enough to keep the readers interested.

This was the first book by Candace Calvert that I have read, but she has another series which I think also sound very interesting and have great story lines.  I will have to add them to my TBR list and I think you should add Trauma Plan to yours.




1 comment:

Jaye Shields said...

Sounds likean interesting premise, but I think for me, the chaplain thing might be too much.