Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Whoopie Pies

Hey Everyone, I made these for the FIRST time this weekend for my besties baby shower, along with a ton of other desserts, and THESE WERE A HIT!!  I personally didn't even think they were that great...I really didn't try a full one to be honest, but I am always nervous about serving guest desserts that I have just made for the first time.  You know what I mean?? 



What if they hate it, and won't tell you?  What if they taste horrible? 

But this was not the case at all, EVERYONE loved them...some even took a few home for their husbands. 

So, I thought I would post the recipe today...

Warning: I swear my hand started to spasm from all the mixing....I know....should have used the stand-up mixer, but I LOVE my hand mixer...


Ingredients:

3 c. Sugar
1 c. Butter
4 Eggs
1/2 c. Veggie Oil
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
6 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 c. Milk
Filling, recipe follows


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter and eggs together until well combined.Add the oil and vanilla and beat again.

In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.  Add half of the dry mixture to the egg mixture and beat or stir to blend.  Add 1  1/2 c. Milk and beat again.  Add the remaining dry mixture and beat until incorporated.  Add the remaining 1  1/2 cups milk and beat until blended.

With a large spoon, scoop out 32 circles of batter onto a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool.  Spread filling onto 16 circles and place remaining circles on top, to make 16 Whoopie Pies. 


Filling:

1  1/2 c. Shortening
3 c. Confectioners Sugar
1  1/3 c. Marshmallow Topping
Dash Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/3 to 1/2 c. Milk

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all ingredients except the milk and beat well.  Add just enough milk to achieve a creamy consistency.  Spread filling across cooled cookie circles. 


3 comments:

Natalija said...

Hi Lisa! They look yummy. I'm not good with baking, I leave it to my fiancé.

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever made whoopie pies. I might have to try that.

You've been tagged. Head on over to my blog to see what that means. ;-) http://angeliaalmos.blogspot.com/2012/02/ive-been-tagged.html

Jaye Shields said...

These always look so delicious, but I've never tried them. What does the pie part taste like? Cookie? Pie? Cake? I'm so confused! I can't make them myself because there'd be no one to eat them. Most of my local buds refuse to eat pork, and lard is a major incredient in marshmallow topping. I almost feinted when my man said he couldn't have smores. What's the point of living?