Friday, June 14, 2013

ON THE FLY by Katie Kenyhercz @CrimsonRomance

On the Fly
Katie Kenyhercz
Released March 18th, 2013
Ebook
Crimson Romance
Gifted by Publisher
Reviewed by Kerrie S.

I have discovered, since reading more of Susan Elizabeth Phillips and finding Rachel Gibson, that I really enjoy sports romances. So when Lisa asked me to review this one, I jumped at the chance. 


Jacey Vaughn has a newly minted MBA when her father dies unexpectedly and leaves her his NHL team. Well-versed in business but not so much in hockey, Jacey navigates this new world with a few stumbles. She definitely doesn’t plan on falling for the team captain. At the first hint of scandal, a local Las Vegas reporter latches on, and Jacey finds herself in the newspaper with headlines that hurt instead of help. Jacey’s determined to keep her father’s legacy alive and make the team successful, but while she has no problem denying her feelings to the media, she can’t lie to herself.

Carter Phlynn has known nothing but hockey his entire life. Drafted into the NHL at age eighteen, winning the Stanley Cup is all he’s ever wanted. Nothing has ever disrupted his focus. Not until he meets his new boss. Jacey gets under his skin like no one else, and while dating the team owner would be a disaster for his career and reputation, he can’t get her out of his head. Carter has never had a relationship last more than a month, but the more he’s around Jacey, the more he can’t picture his future without her.


At first I wasn't sure what to think; I was strongly reminded of Phoebe Somerville in SEP's first Chicago Stars novel. Daughter who knows nothing about running a team inherits a team from her dad, we've read this before.

But I quickly realized that Jacey is her own force to be reckoned with. She's a smart, articulate woman who takes immediate steps to show that she knows how to get the job done. Yet she's vulnerable, and has such a need to please the memory of her father and take care of her brother. And of course we know, it's the characters who make the book.

Now, Carter...Carter's a great guy. He wants what's best for his team, but still wants to shine. Until he meets Jacey. Then he is driven by something else entirely.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a nice story, with well developed characters and a plot that kept me reading. Over the past week since I put it down, I have often found myself thinking about it-- which for me, is a great sign. I will definitely read anything else this author writes. I hope you enjoy it, too.
~Kerrie~
 
 

2 comments:

Sharlene said...

Oh, this sounds good! I will put it on my list! BTW, have you read Carly Phillips' Hot Zone series? That is a great sports series!

Rachell Nichole said...

I'd never really read a sports romance until Katie's, but I loved it. Humorous, well-written, sweet, and romantic. A must-read!