Monday, April 29, 2013

Tasty Review Tour: The Earl in My Bed by Sophie Jordan, #AvonRomance @Tastybooktours



Intended for one man…

All her life, everyone assumed Paget Ellsworth, the vicar’s daughter, would marry the Earl of Winningham’s youngest son. And when he left for war with his older brother, Jamie, words and promises were not necessary. She would wait.

But destined for another…

Four years pass, and the death of his father forces Jamie home to take up the reins as the new earl, leaving his brother fighting on the front lines a world away. Maddening, infuriating, sexy Jamie makes Paget question her feelings. One glimpse, one word from him awakens desire in her heart. When a simple kiss spirals out of control at the annual Valentine’s Day ball, she realizes the man she never wanted is the man she needs…but will Paget cast aside all she’s ever thought to be true to win the man of her dreams?
 
~~~~~
The Earl in My Bed
Forgotten Princesses #2.5
Sophie Jordan
Published February 5th, 2013
ebook, 100 Pages
Avon Impulse
Gifted by: Publisher/Tasty Book Tours
Reviewed by: Kerrie Conwell-Strong
 

My tenure as an Avon Addict, and now Avon Alum, has exposed me to so many new authors whom I have come to love. Sophie Jordan is one of them.

I really enjoyed "Lessons From A Scandalous Bride," so when I received the eARC from Avon for this book, I knew I'd like it, too. And I wasn't wrong. My only complaint, as with all novellas by my favorite authors: it was too short, of course!

Paget grew up in a close friendship with Brand, heir to the Earl of Winningham, and Owen, his half brother. Jamie is the younger full brother and never quite fits in with their little group (and let me just say here that thanks to Outlander, every single time there's a Jamie in a book, I know I'm going to love it). War breaks out, and Jamie and Owen go off to fight, leaving Paget and Brand to wait for their return. It has long been assumed that Paget and Owen will marry then, though they have no formal arrangement.

Unfortunately, Brand and the Earl both pass away, and Jamie returns home to assume the Earl's title. The story is a slight twist on the classic love triangle: Paget still despises Jamie. He has always emphasized their class difference, and brought out the worst in her when they were young. Now that he is home, they revert to their old, antagonistic relationship at the beginning, but suddenly there's an electricity between them.

It seems everyone assumes Paget to be engaged to Owen, though as it turns out, she isn't quite so sure it's what she wants-- or even what Owen wants, anymore. But Jamie informs her the only thing keeping Owen alive in India is the dream of returning home to her. For Owen's sake, and for propriety's sake (on which her father's living depends), she needs to suppress her dreams of a passion-filled life and plan to marry Owen when he comes home. And for the same reasons, Jamie must ignore his own desire for her.

What I love about this is that Paget is not choosing between a Good Guy and a Bad Guy. That's the easy way out, I think: when one man turns out to be a murderer, or a stalker, or in some way truly unfit to be loved. I think that's why I love the movie Sweet Home Alabama-- you don't hate Patrick Dempsey's character. He's just...not the right one.

Speaking of which, wouldn't you like to see a sequel-- his HEA? Returning to The Earl in My Bed (and wouldn't THAT be amazing?), it's the RIGHT ending, a feel-good ending, and that's what it's all about.  Paget must choose between two good men, allowing love to prevail above all else, including loyalty, duty, and friendship.

 I definitely recommend picking up this novella for a quick, passionate story. And (spoiler alert!) I look forward to reading more about Owen in the next book.

~~~~~
 
About Sophie
 
 
Sophie Jordan, a former high school English teacher, resides in Houston with her family. When she’s not writing, she divides her time between inventing what she likes to call culinary masterpieces -- her husband won’t always agree -- and visiting her family’s pecan ranch in the scenic Texas Hill Country.
Contact Sophie
Twitter: @soverysophie
 ~~~~~
Hosted by:
Tasty Book Tours
 


No comments: