Thursday, September 15, 2011

THROWBACK THURSDAYS

Since the movie version of Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin has just been released on DVD, I am recommending the book to all of you have yet to read this funny, heartbreaking Romance.

Rachel White is the consummate good girl. A hard-working attorney at a large Manhattan law firm and a diligent maid of honor to her charmed best friend Darcy, Rachel has always played by all the rules. Since grade school, she has watched Darcy shine, quietly accepting the sidekick role in their lopsided friendship. But that suddenly changes the night of her thirtieth birthday when Rachel finally confesses her feelings to Darcy's fiance, and is both horrified and thrilled to discover that he feels the same way. As the wedding date draws near, events spiral out of control, and Rachel knows she must make a choice between her heart and conscience. In so doing, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk everything to be true to yourself.

When I was first given Something Borrowed/Something Blue by a co-worker to read they sat on my nightstand for about a month until I finally gave them back to her, explaining that they just didn't seem like my type of books.  BOY WAS I WRONG!!

A few years later, they came up again in conversation with my husband's Aunt and Mother telling me I HAD TO READ THESE BOOKS!  I think I devoured Something Borrowed in a few hours.  Then I ran out to Target to purchase the set so that I would have my very own copies.

Rachel pulls you in to the madness that is her life at the current moment, the roller coaster of life, the ups and downs that is her life.  And Dex....oh I love my charming, handsome Dex, but I did want to smack him upside the head a few times. 

I am not normally a huge fan of books that have cheating characters, but the direction in which Emily takes the story and with all of the back story....you can almost understand that sometimes you can't just turn off your feelings or stop yourself from loving someone that is probably the last person you should have feelings for. 

I have to say that Something Borrowed has become one of my absolute favorite books and I am so glad that I finally gave it a chance.....Just goes to show you that 'You can't judge a book by it's cover'.

No comments: